The International Association of Bryologists is a non-profit organization founded in 1969 at the XI International Botanical Congress.
The annual membership fee is 11 US $. (Members who would like to receive a paper copy of the Bryological Times should add 10 US $ to their annual membership fee). IAB dues may be paid for five years in advance with a discount of US $7.00 from the normal dues for five years (including the conservation fee of $1). This discount only applies if the dues are paid to the treasurer or to a collector who will provide such dues collections to the IAB treasurer.
Undergraduate and graduate students may join free for their first year of membership in IAB. Please provide a signature of your advisor to certify that you are a student.
- The Bryological Times — An annual subscription to our newsletter with timely reviews, news, and notes on bryology issued quarterly.
- Student Internships — Student members may apply for internships that provide matching travel funds in order to learn new techniques in international laboratories.
- Student Travel Grants — Student members who will present a poster or make an oral presentation at an IAB meeting can apply for IAB sponsored travel grants, as funds permit.
- Student Presentation Awards — Awards will be given to students who have outstanding posters or oral presentations, based on both the research and the quality of the presentation.
- Stanley Greene Research Awards — Announced biennially, these competitive research awards provide funds for travel in order to increase research capabilities and to develop new international linkages.
- International Meetings — The Association sponsors biennial meetings at exciting venues around the world. Future Meetings: 2005 – Vienna, Austria 2007 – Malaysia
- Eligibility for International Recognition — The Association recognizes excellence among its members through the Hedwig Medal, Spruce Plaque, and Hattori Prize and Grolle Plaque.
- Expert Workshops — The Association sponsors international workshops on all aspects of bryology.
- Current Membership — Our web site includes a current, up-to-date list of members, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Expert Advice — The Association maintains a web-based data base on international bryological expertise.
- Publications — The Association publishes and distributes to all members presentations given at our biennial meetings and expert workshops.
- Discounts — Members of IAB receive 25% discount for purchase of Bryophytorum Bibliotheca.